BG Sentinel V2: Professional mosquito traps with superior capture rates
Biogents mosquito traps are the result of more than 16 years of academic research into the behaviour of mosquitoes. As a result, a novel, highly effective type of trap was developed for research and surveillance purposes. It is used in diverse models for different regions and mosquito species. The superior efficiency of Biogents mosquito traps has been scientifically proven by researchers worldwide: Click here to download a list of scientific studies with Biogents traps.
Properties and uses of the BG-Sentinel mosquito trap
- is collapsible, light-weight, and easy to transport
- mimics convection currents created by a human body
- employs attractive visual cues
- releases artificial skin emanations through a large surface area
- can be used without CO2 to specifically capture selected mosquito species (e.g. Stegomyia spp and Culex quinquefasciatus)
- is an excellent general mosquito trap when used with CO2.
The BG-Sentinel is mainly used by researchers and for mosquito monitoring. Its effectiveness is worldwide tested and scientifically proven in more than 300 publications
Search in Google Scholar : Biogents trap for Aedes mosquitoes
Advantages of the trap:
- Easy-to-transport, collapsible white cylinder with white mesh covering the top.
- Self-standing pop-up design with a stainless steel wire frame and no loose parts.
- Funnel is equipped with an air gate that closes automatically in the event of battery or fan failure.
- A white hard plastic mesh cover easily affixes to the top of the trap and is easy to remove and clean
- Water resistant electrical connectors help reduce fan failure in wet conditions.
- The lure holder in the trap cover does not require trap disassembly for replacement of the lure.
- Supplied with a 120/240 volt AC electrical transformer equipped with a US type plug.
- A standard Biogents proprietary BG-Lure�
- Two catch bags and a two-handled green nylon rip stop carrying case
OPTIONAL accessories to be purchased separately
- Y-Nozzle for CO2 distribution
- CO2 cylinder (2-3 kg)
- CO2 release auto-timer. The timer should able to regulate the auto-release and auto-cutoff of the CO2 from cylinder
1. Species surveillance and population sampling
2. Bionomics studies of a species. (for example, studying most active time of a species during a day/week or a month in an year)
3. Relative abundance of a particular mosquito species over another in particular locality and geographical region
4. To monitor effectiveness of an intervention
5. Help to conduct an error-free longitudinal studies on mosquito prevalence/biting pressure
6. Exceptional ability to collect mosquitoes for molecular studies (no man power required to collect mosquitoes)
7. Exceptional ability to study blood feeding behaviour of a mosquito
8. Large and spacious interiors of the trap makes it a viable solution to test other attractants developed by a third party or place animal as an attractant to collect mosquitoes in the field
9. Even other attractants like animals can be placed in cage to catch specific species of mosquitoes
10. Animal preference could also be studied by placing like a rabbit in the cage
11. These traps could also be used to catch any insect species that has measurable size as that of mosquito and has a lure for attracting the insect species in question. For example, you can catch rice stem borer if you have a lure to attract insect near trap so it can suck into its suction bag. It is left to the scientist/researchers to decide its customization for their needs.
For accessories, missing parts and replacements please see here
Biogents mosquito trap-BGSv2 LI-10039
a. Species surveillance and population sampling
b. Bionomics of a species, for example to study most active time of a species during a day/week/ or a month
c. Relative abundance of a particular mosquito species over another
d. To monitor effectiveness of an intervention for mosquito control
e. Help to conduct error-free longitudinal studies on mosquito prevalence/biting pressure
f. Exceptional ability to collect mosquitoes for molecular studies (no man power required to collect mosquitoes)
g. Exceptional ability to study blood feeding preference of species
h. Spacious interior makes the trap a viable solution to test other attractants developed by third party
i. Small animals can be placed in cage to catch specific species of
j. Animal preference could also be studied
- Please do not install the trap under direct sun, under heavy windy or rainy conditions
- Do care to install under shade, probable mosquito resting places, high humid areas with potential breeding sites
- The new trap fabric may give plastic smell which is found to have a repellency effect on mosquitoes. Leaving trap installed for couple of days under open conditions remove plastic stain from the trap
- Please do practice using the trap under contained laboratory conditions before installing them in the field. For this, please first follow step 3 when you are using a new trap. After that, release 10 or any known number of Aedes mosquitoes in side the insectary or closed containment and let the trap installed overnight to catch the released mosquitoes. Count the number caught in the trap and re-work until you satisfy using the trap.